Thursday, August 25, 2011

Man and Machine: A love story


In the summer of 1984, I started a love affair with a machine called the Apple IIe personal computer. I had landed an internship at the Econometric Group in Delhi and they were using this machine to generate color graphics for the upcoming general elections on TV.

Little did I know then that a geek-god called Steve Jobs (along with buddy Steve Wozniak) had produced this wonderful machine. Over the years I used almost all Apple products - Mac SE (cute), the eMac, various iMacs, various Mac books, various iPods, the Apple TVs, the iPhone and all those other gizmos and great software... iTunes, iLife, iWeb, Pages, Keynote..... all are spiritually connected to the Apple IIe (and the Apple I) in the simplicity of usage. Every time I see a new Apple product, I feel the same wonder and amazement when I saw my first Apple computer 27 years ago.

Steve became a role model, a pathbreaker and has always challenged me to think beyond the possible and think different; and learn when not to let one's ego get bigger than the man, when he was ousted out from Apple. He also taught us how to build a vision and bring it to reality with when he came back to Apple. My family and I enjoyed every Pixar movie that saw the light of the day with his encouragement and involvement. We sadly watched as his health plummeted and the message that he gave out that every day could be his last, as he led Apple into being the world's largest market cap. company just 2 weeks ago on Aug 9, 2011

Today as Steve says "Unfortunately, that day has come", one is filled with sadness as one realizes what is stopping this unstoppable man. As he steps down voluntarily as CEO of Apple this time, I wonder who will start the next love affair for 22 year olds with wonderful machines that are now part of our lives.

1 comment:

  1. Kudos on starting the blog.

    While it may be sad that that particular brand of thinking and leadership that Steve Jobs represents may be winding down, it is also inevitable. He has set a good standard for the rise of a next generation of thinkers who may be inspired to achieve great things without imitating him.

    That inspiration he provides is the truest of his legacies.

    Yes, I am also an Apple fan! :)

    Chandra Shekhar Balachandran

    ReplyDelete